Thursday, November 17, 2022

I don't like Wikipedia, I don't trust Wikipedia, I don't use Wikipedia

Several years ago I was Prinicipal of a new school and as we were trying to build our reputation, I regularly checked our presence n the media and social media. One day, I discovered that the school had been listed on Wikipedia (what is the verb for this? described? listed?), although the entry included several errors of fact such as number of rooms or hours or location, all easily-verifiable.

However, there was no avenue for addressing this, which I believe is still the case today. The only thing I could do was to edit the page, so I joined as "School xyz" and with that user ID corrected the errors. A few days later I received an alert that the school' s entry was to be deleted because someone connected with the school had wrtten the edits which was forbidden. I must confess that the smug arrogance of whoever it was, a self appointed" but unreachable "editor", and in whatever they wrote annoying.

I wrote in this discussion thread why I had done what I had done, identified the factual errors, pointed out that there was no "appeal"or "correct the incorrect" button but silence. I asked the school's IT person and a parent who were both computer and software geeks, both into alternative approaches like freeware and linux and both anti-Wikipedia. They also wrote in the thread supporting my action and making the same point. Again, crickets.

A few days later, the school's entry disappeared and years later, it is still absent. This is why I don't like Wikipedia, I don't trust Wikipedia, I don't use Wikipedia. If anyone can create an entry, and/or edit an entry but not the "owner" of the thing, then anyone can write anything. 

In my school's case, I think the errors were connected to lack of knowledge, yet it could so easily be something more sinister. the lack of any way to amend or correct these falsities and the ease with which they can be published is why I neither use nor respect Wikipedia and why I have urged students and staff to keep well away and to tell their friends.

**Please leave your comments and questions below**

No comments :