Sunday, January 14, 2024

News : Baltimore mother accuses school of falsifying son's report card

I was recently sent this video link and was reminded me of something which happened several years ago. I too have a fake transcript.

As I described elsewhere, many years ago I explored the possibility of a PhD. I had completed the maximum number of 600 level Educational Leadership classes for credit before having formally to register for a PhD, so I thought, "Why not?". I already had a Masters which had not asked for my teacher certification transcript. However, the PhD application did which is where it became interesting.

When I looked up my "old" teacher training college, I discovered that it had been absorbed by the local state university's College of Education and that any records requests had to be directed to them. So I filled out their form, send the extortionate fee and soon received my official record.

Only it wasn't.

What I received lacked two classes I can remember taking, included one class I am positive I did not take and would not have taken, and omitted three "As" I remember very proudly receiving. Of course I protested, only to be told that the record was perfect and that I was mistaken. I wrote back, a little more forcefully and this time the reply came from the College's Registrar personally.

When I called her, she told me that the records they had came from the now defunct teacher training college and that their record-keeping had not been the best and that any errors must have been due to that. Perhaps. Also perhaps, errors were introduced when the original handwritten archives were  uploaded by an overworked, underpaid and possibly not terribly engaged keyboarder. In any case, what they had sent me was definitive, unless I had original reports to the contrary (from a time when we did not receive transcripts, only our certificates).

Ultimately, I did not proceed with the PhD and so I did not need the transcript. But I have it, and as a one-time English literature teacher, I do enjoy a good work of fiction.

**Please leave questions and comments below.**

Further reading (and viewing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDdNk8srPw

A problem with transcripts

No comments :