Monday, September 11, 2023

It worked for me, but it was really corruption

The Youtube algorithm just sent me to one of those first amendment auditor channels where someone tried to do something at his local city office and couldn't. He was able to capture it all on camera which of course didn't go well for the city or the clerk. I was reminded of something which happened to me several years ago which only worked out because of who I knew. 

We were having some renovations done in a PK classroom and after having plans, wiring schema and permits approved, we realised that an outlet on the other side of the wall in the foyer would be useful for christmas tree lights etc. This would be a simple change-order, and in order to save time and to avoid paying the contractor for this, I took his sketch to the city's Building Services department for the two-minute visual review and red stamp.

Actually I went the next morning at 7.45am so as to be first in line when they opened at 8am so I could be back at school. I was first in line. At 8am there were five or six of us, all the others appeared from their clothes to be contractors. At 8.30am, there were a dozen and still no clerk although the other counters were open and processing whatever they processed.

I asked the people behind me where our clerk was and they shrugged their shoulders. I asked if this wait for service was normal and they shrugged their shoulders. This was now 8.45am, and we were in front of a sign which said, "Hours of Service 8am - 2pm".

However, I was on a committee with the head of Building Services and I had his cell number so I called him, explaining the situation. A minute later, someone appeared from a back door at the end of the room, came over to where we were waiting and went into another door. A disheveled clerk then emerged, wiping his mouth and chin, took my change-order, said "90-day review" and called for next in line. I asked why, explaining that the contractor said it would be an immediate approval. He again said "90-day review" and summoned the next person.

I went to one side and again called upstairs. I was asked to wait, the same person appeared from the same door, waved me over, spoke to Mr Grumpy and gave me my change order with the coveted red stamp.

The contractor told me that this was normal and that no contractor would ever complain because of the 90-day review retaliation. They all put up with this, and they simply pass on the lost time to their clients in increased costs.

I was able to circumvent this reality because of who I knew, a remedy not available to the average citizen. Really, this is no different to influence-peddling, aka corruption.

Two footnotes. One, I was asked for a writtne report / complaint which I submitted and which led to the re-assgnment of said clerk. Two, our HVAC inspector decided to fail us on electrical which (a) had already been approved (b) was not in his purview and (c) was immediately reversed when I made another phone call. I did wonder at the time if the mechanical inspector was connected to the former electrical review clerk.

I told these stories subsequently to several different contractors, and all told me stories of retribution from an inspector. And all wished that they had my level of connection, or influence. These first amendment auditors may be on to something, so let's see if public sector customer service does improve.

**Please leave comments and questions below.**

No comments :