Wednesday, May 5, 2021

So much Published Educational "Research" is just not good

There. I've said it. It's true and it's concerning. Let me explain.

Firstly, why do I make such an assertion? I have read more such studies, reports and articles than most when doing my Masters and as a principal. So I think I have a basis for my conclusion. This week I was sent an article which is to be published in June. The two authors, apparently both full professors, have discovered that new principals find that in their first year they face a lot of stress.

My previous favorite, produced by a college of education dean no less, found that teachers who move around the room have better outcomes than those who do not. That gem beat out another study which determined that teachers who write things on whiteboards out-perform those who do not.

This quality, level and type of study trivializes educational research and adds to the mockery of the profession from which we already suffer. That any institution would approve it and any journal publish it is puzzling and distressing.

Research funding today is largely commercial. Scientific, medical, energy related topics are all sexy since they may lead to a patent or a product which can be sold leading to profits for the private funder or to an income stream for the institution. Billions of dollars flow into such research, leading to distortions or an unhelpful narrowing of focus, but that is another tale.

Humanities research funding is at best limited, and education must compete with things like politics, housing and welfare, all of which have loud and powerful advocates. When a funder has to choose between a study on the effects of overcrowded housing, or the benefits of adding five minutes to circle time, education misses out. This also means that follow-up studies and related studies will not be funded either.

I can think of a myriad of things which should be studied and which would provide immediate, tangible benefits. None includes finding that new principals experience stress.

**Questions or comments below. Let me know what you think.**

No comments :