Thursday, March 11, 2021

Addressing teachers

How should teachers be addressed? Sir? MIss? Ma'am? Teacher? Jo? Ms Brown? 

Does it matter?
I think ti does for two main reasons. The first of course is to maintain a level of politness and civility, to remind all participants that they are in a professional or work-environment. I think teachers should always be addressed as Miss / Ms / Mr Jones and not by their first names. Students should be addressed by their given names, unless there is a well-established alternative thus Willie is fine, Shorty is not.

Informal situations are different, such as sports practice or games, where a team name or nickname might be more appropriate. Of course such nicknames should never be pejorative, and teachers should be aware of when a nickname can be spun to be disparaging. Speedy is in, Dumbo is not.

I remember a student whose nickname and moniker at home was "negra" or "negrita" because she had black hair, and because in that community this was common. Her cousin was know as "rubia". However, at school we could not permit this and so used her given name Juliana, although to be fair, she was more usually known as "Jules".

The second is to remind all of the distance between students and teachers. The two must be friendly, but cannot be friends. They are colleagues, and the echo of formality which comes from Miss / Ms / Mr Jones is a constant reminder of the unequal relationship which exists.

And for those who find Miss / Ms / Mr Jones too long, I have no problem with Sir and Miss. I know Ma'am is quite common in real world formal or unfamiliar situations, especially in the south, but to me it seems a little archaic. I have worked with Spanish teachers who accept Señorita or Profesor which to me is the same thing and so fine.

I did once meet someone who wanted to be called "Principal", modeled I suppose on the politician's use of  Secretary or President. This  I found to be at best pretentious.

So yes, it does matter how a teacher is addressed, and whatever model a school adopts will reflect and reinforce its culture.

**Please leave your comments and questions below.**

No comments :