Monday, February 15, 2021

Why I left one of the top schools in the country

When I was new-ish to the profession, I lucked into a position at one of the top schools in the country. I did not know that at the time, in fact I really only realized this after I left. I needed a job, it was an experimental school with a great program and they wanted me. So why did I leave?

The school had 400 or so students, PK - 12, and I was hired to teach G7 - 12. I was replacing someone who had moved sideways to become school counselor. Coincidentally, the other teacher in the department had been half one subject and half another and because the school was growing, had opted to become full the other.

I arrived per my contract the week before students, and the principal gave me a tour, showed me the office three departments shared and assigned me a desk. I "unpacked" and began planning, text selection, materials preparation etc. Another new teacher arrived at the same time and was similarly assigned a desk in the office.

Two days later, my departmental colleague arrived, announcing herself as "Head of Department". I had not heard of this title or position before, and in my first two days heard much of the school`s hippie past, flat structure, lack of hierarchy. She returned to the office a few hours later and told my newbie colleague she wanted his desk. He refused, so she turned to me and told me that she "ordered" me to change desks. I also refused and went immediately to the principal. He then went to her, and I kept my desk.

Things did not change. For example, I was given a department handbook which told me what and how to teach, grade and more. When we grouped students in the exam grades based on their writing ability, she took the "lower" group and then proceeded not to do the exam prep they needed meaning none of her students could, or did, score higher than a C. This of course meant she did perhaps a fourth or less than I was doing in terms of grading, tutoring, program individualization etc. I went to the principal about three times in two years with similar unprofessional behavior, and while he always listened, nothing was done.

The school did not pay well. I don't know if this was choice or necessity, but I do know that my then partner's receptionist (not secretary, not PA but receptionist) was earning 25% more than me with no after-hours obligations, no planning or preparation, no grading, regular free lunches and dinners, clothing allowance and more. In my third semester, I went to see the Business Manager and asked for a raise. He laughed at my great joke. A few weeks later, I went back and this time, he told me that when he was a young teacher he had had a second job to make ends meet. Again, no raise.

Meanwhile, my personal relationship soured and I was again single. So when an even more prestigious school contacted me to join them and start a new academic program, I was ready to leave. I had a colleague I could not work with, a salary I could live on but without holidays or retirement savings, and no emotional ties to the city. When I gave in my resignation, the principal was surprised and the business manager asked me to re-consider.

After I left, I was invited to a faculty party of 15 - 20 former colleagues. My problematic colleague was not invited and there I discovered that the drama, music and ESL teachers would not work with her, the business office / payroll executive avoided her as did several other teachers. Yet  none had spoken out. One year later, she moved (or perhaps was moved) sideways to become the elementary school music and drama teacher.

Also after I left, in fact at the end of that summer, the faulty received a 17% salary increase. All these years later, I still remember that number.

If the principal had acted on this "bad teacher" colleague and/or if I had received a salary increase, I would not have left. It was a great school, a great mission, a great program and great students and I do regret leaving. But I had no reason to stay. When I later became a principal and then director, I tried always to listen to teacher concerns and where I could not do what they wanted, to explain why and what I could do. I think that the principal and the business manager felt I was "just another teacher" who could easily be replaced, and of course no-one wants to feel that.

Questions or comments below. Please leave your email address in the box to the right for new post alerts.

No comments :