Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Black women with 'natural' hairstyles are perceived as less professional

I have not read the study which prompted this headline, just an article discussing it. Reportedly, black women who wear their hair in afros or braids are seen as less professional than those who straighten their hair. This of course affects how they are treated, what opportunities they might have, promotion and earnings. Other than the more general discussions of right, wrong and relevance, what interests me is how this might apply to a school setting,
I am a supporter of school uniform poloicies, and I believe that that a uniform should be as neutral as possible,  easy to monitor and enforce and the same for all, ie a uniform should be uniform. I also believe that such a policy should extend to nails, makeup and hair.

So in my uniform policy, hair should be neat, clean and natural colors, and irrespective of gender or ethnicity. if it is short, combed or brushed, or if long, tied back, Long straight hair, long braids, large frizzy hair or large afros can all be tied back whether worn by a boy or a girl.

Razor cuts, cutting shapes and letters into one's hair, mohawks, "skin head" cuts and so on can not be uniform and so should not be worn at school.

Expressing one's identity, fashion choices or appearance-based competrition is a part of our society and psychologists argue it is necessary in the teenage years. I do not disagree, however I do feel that some things are not appropriate for schools and this is one of them.

No comments :