Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Leaving "the office" but still working

A few years ago, I was appointed Principal of a PK - 8 school and inherited a faculty who were, um, wanting in several respects. In my first few weeks I met with all, one on one, to ask about their thoughts on the school's position, direction and needs. However I could not find a time to meet with the counselor. She was too booked up advising students. So I wandered past her office, stuck my head in and suggested we meet one day after school. She declined, saying she left promptly each day as she had to "maintain a work/life balance".

I soon discovered she had been a poor teacher, had done a counseling certificate, moved sideways and was now a poor counselor. The next year she was gone, without a reference from me at least.

However, what stuck with me was her "work/life balance" comment. I have heard off and on for some time about disconnection legislation, for example in France, Spain and now Australia. Essentially, once an employee has left the office, the office cannot contact him/her.

I understand the motives for this, and even the need. However, I am not sure about how it applies to teachers. Every teacher knows that time in the classroom is but the tip of the iceberg. We then have planning, preparation, research, professional development, meetings, extra-curricular, attending games and concerts ... 

I tell new teachers to plan on one hour outside the classroom for every hour inside just for the teaching and learning side thus 30 contact means 60 hours should be envisaged. Admin, extra-curricular, professional appearances are extra.

So at a superficial level, teachers cannot disconnect.

The traditional compensation was a generous vacation allowance, twelve weeks or so. Most, if not all, of the "after-work" demands faced by teachers can only be met during the semester. They cannot be scheduled for summer. When new-ish teachers voiced their frustration, I mentioned the vacations and that a typical employee at 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year worked about the same as a teacher at 60 hours a week for 36.

In other words, I think educators should be reasonably available, such as 7am - 9pmy, or by email over the weekend. However I also feel that parents (and students) should not have a teacher's personal cell or email address, and if they do, must not ever use them.

The fly in this particular ointment? Vacations being shortened in some schools to eight weeks, and the same workload, or sometimes even greater, maintained. Long work weeks, long holidays. Short holidays - shorten the work weeks. 

That's work/life balance.

**Please leave comments and queries below.**

Further Reading

Kevin O'Leary slams new rule that allows employees to ignore their bosses after hours

No comments :