Thursday, September 9, 2021

Update to my comment on mediocre hires

I wrote earlier about a national organization hiring into senior positions two people I knew and who I knew to be mediocre. Well, there is an update. Two really. The first concerns their performance, the second concerns me.

Firstly, performance. I still have friends, contacts, fingers on the pulse etc so I hear what is going on. In the last year or so, I have heard nothing relating to those two appointments. No developments, no initiatives, no programs, nothing. The charter school group's website, while full of other activities and announcements, contains nothing relating to the areas of these two. Neither do the school sites I looked at before putting fingers to keys. If they are making any difference, it is very much low-key. I suspect they are doing what they did in their prior positions. Not much.

Secondly, me. A month or so ago I was contacted by a naitonal recruiting agency asking me to apply for a director's position in one of the group's schools. The agency is not an educational agency and a look at their site and Linkedin page shows no educational-related experience. They are also not the regular agency used by the group.

The recruiter tried to be secretive about the school and group, but it is a small market and in a few minutes I easily identified both. She then revealed the package. No benefits and a salary around 50% of what would be expected for that size and type of school. Apart from being a bureaucrat / cog in a wheel appointment, the salary offered is either derisory or insulting (or both).

I declined, and told the recruiter I would not be passing the "opportunity" along. 

I just looked at both the group's and school's websites and surprisingly no news of any appointment. So as well as having deadwood at the top, the owners of the charter school group are happy to offer peanuts to the most important factor in any school's success.

As they say, time will tell.

**Please leave your comments and queries below.**

No comments :